Subject: Re: [Leica] CRM PAW Week 8
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:10:25 -0800 (PST)

Marshall, C.R." wrote:
Week 8 went up over the weekend.

http://my.voyager.net/~cmarshal/wk082001.htm

My alternate this week is the same picture as the original, only
reversed. My scanner creates a flipped image that I have to reverse. In
some ways, I like the reversed image better. The line of shoes does a
better job of leading the eye to the shopper in the alternative. Her
view leads you back to the shoes. It seems more active somehow. In the
original, she leads you to the shoes, the shoes lead you out of the
picture, and that is the end of the story.

I would also be interested in comments on cropping. I put her eyes
about 1/3rd of the way down and left some space behind her, centering
her in hir 1/3rd of the frame. The shoe racks take most of the right
2/3rds.
(snip)

It's strange, but the alternate appeals more to me, too. Maybe it's got
something to do with the fact that I'm left-handed? Apart from that, my
2 cents are:

(a) I like your use of lines and your balanced foreground composition

(b) the female subject could have been a little closer

(c) your low camera position, causing you to tilt the camera upwards,
resulted in converging verticals in the wall and a tilted ceiling, due
to the wide angle of the lens. The effect, to me, is to give the
picture a look of instability.

Regards,

=====
Ray