Subject: Re: [Leica] DR Summicron, Reconsidered
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:21:19 -0500

Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com> wrote:

>> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dkieltyka/Bokeh.htm
>
> That does indeed illustrate much better bokeh than I've
> witnessed. Specular highlights are almost perfect. I see
> just a touch of double-line, but it's hard to judge on a
> monitor. I'd love to know what f-stop you were using --
> clearly it is stopped down a bit, as the highlights aren't
> precisely circular.

Douglas, the lens was somewhere around f/4. I took a series of photos at
various apertures but it was a breezy autumn afternoon and this was one of
the few shots not marred by swinging berries.

> My observations with the DR were at f2, focusing as
> closely as possible without going into the close-range
> (as I don't have the eyes). I'm going to do some testing
> today at f4 and f5.6.
>
> Your picture gives me great hope, however.

Good. I love my DR! I've used it wide-open quite often with similar results
to the berries shot. This particular DR is a hybrid...a second version lens
body with a first version lens head. Could be a serrendipitous mismatch. :-)
(Note: for those of you interested in its in-focus performance <g> it does a
stellar job there too.)

- -Dave-