Subject: Re: [Leica] Earth quake
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:44:30 -0800

Sal de Marco, Jnr. wrote:

> [...]
well,....>>>>

Hi Sal,
Well we're not in Seattle, but out on Vancouver Island a couple hundred
miles north in Victoria, Canada and it was an interesting rockin' &
rollin'!" ;-)

As you know I usually never go anywhere without an M6 on the shoulder or
around the neck. Today?  Yep as sure as God made little green apples I
rushed out the door because she who must be obeyed was in a hurry to go to
the damn mall!

Out the door, locked the place up, went to get in the car and I think, "Damn
I don't have my camera! Oh well we'll not belong and it's a quiet day and
nothings going to happen!"       Yeah right!!!!!!!! ;-)

Ten minutes later standing in a major grocery store and trying to decide on
whether to buy Chocolate Eclairs or plain cream puffs, a heavy duty thought
process, ;-)  when the place starts moving, not violently but a kind of
rolling under your feet. The poor clerk serving me looked like she was going
to pee her pants and all the other clerks were in a similar sort of
anxiousness.

My immediate reaction? "Damn I don't have my camera and this is going to be
the big one and after all the years of carrying one and telling people the
"Big One" is coming, always have a camera handy. And here I am standing here
like a dumb ass without one!"  I was, to say the least for a few seconds,
royally ticked off!

And from that moment hence I swore on my mothers grave I will not go
anywhere without a camera.... no matter where, what or when!

When we arrived home some pictures in the dining and living rooms were all
hanging weird, in my light table room there were full slide boxes all over
the floor that had been shook off the shelves.  But that seemed to be the
only things we found out of place, other than a couple of cabinets where
doors had been shaken open.

So when they hit, do you remember all the safety things you are supposed to
do and immediately react in the correct and approved manner?  Nope!

It's like, "Hey that's an earthquake!  Wow the place is really moving!"  And
for a few moments you are not really coordinated other than realizing you
are experiencing an earth quake.  Now if the walls were coming down I assume
the reactions would be quite different. Like, "Holy jeeeeeeeesus it's an
earthquake lets get out of here!"

Our good fortune is no one in Victoria was injured nor was there any major
damage reported. lots of buildings cleared, certainly many of the older ones
along with the schools had the kids outside and wouldn't let them back in
until there was a building chock over for damage.

But after this one there are going to be all kinds of media stories of
..."Where were you and are you prepared for the big one!" ........

I know I will be, as I will never never never go anywhere without a camera
in the future... period! :-) It sure was a hell of a learning lesson!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant