Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: meter's shmeters..step away from the meter!
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:12:19 -0500

> Hi Felix, yes I have used advanced metering systems and they do give
> accurate exposures.

What does "accurate" mean?  If you're not enlarging over 4x6, then you're
probably right, but if you expect to get a 'mind blowing' enlargement, you
need to understand what it is you are doing.

> Unless you are just AWFUL at judging light intensity and miss the correct
> exposure by more than 1 stop your negatives will be FINE as long as you
> don't blow the development.

What's "FINE"?  If you expect to get an exceptional tonal range from your
negatives, as I said above, you need to understand what it is you are doing.
You lose detail, and that detail can not be made up for in printing.

It really depends on what type of work you are doing.  Your blanket
statements do not apply to everyone.  I would prefer to know how to use the
tools I have well than to just rely on dumb luck.