Subject: [Leica] Canon Woes (why you should buy leica)
From: "Gary Klein" <leicaman_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:57:43 -0600

Leica Folks,

The below is why you want to buy Leica gear.

You'd think that getting a lousy 50mm f1.8 repaired by Canon would be so
hard.  I sent my 50mm f1.8 EF lens into the Jamesburg Canon repair facility.
Mind you this is NOT FD stuff, EOS stuff.  Listen to this lousy excuse from
them about the lens:

"We are sorry to inform you, that the parts you require for your equipment
are no longer available.  Your product was initially manufactured well over
7 years ago and it is impossible for any manufacturer to continue producing
and maintaining parts for equipment beyond a 7-year period."

What was ailing the lens was something in the autofocus mechanism got
sluggish.  Probably some sort of autofocus sensor part needed replacement in
the lens.  The lens appears as mint otherwise.   I am going to continue to
use my M with its famed summicron.

Amazing how Leica can repair old stuff....old M cameras, might I add.

Anyone care to comment on their position?

gck

Leica M, the quiet alternative

Replies: Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Canon Woes (why you should buy leica))