Subject: [Leica] airport security at CDG
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@home.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 06:17:23 -0800

Robert Clarke wrote:

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:55:11 -0500
From: Robert Clark <rclark@desupernet.net>
Subject: [Leica] Thanks & Film/Airport Security
snip
"Should I be concerned about
the film going through the security machines?  On other trips, I have
removed the film from the cannisters and placed them into transparent
plastic bags for visual inspection; however, I only had a few rolls.
I'd like to keep the film in the boxes but I'm afraid the security folks
will insist they go through the machine. So, I will probably put all
film into plastic bags.  I plan to purchase several rolls of Ilford 3200
while in Paris to use inside.  Should I be concerned about it going
through the machines because I understand the security people at Roissy
- - - Charles de Gaulle do not conduct hand inspections?  Maybe I can just
mail the film to my home address and not take it myself."

When I returned from CDG last September the security inspector refused to
hand check my 15 rolls of Tri-X in a Ziploc bag, without canisters. She
said, in very firm and bureaucratic French, "if it doesn't go through the
machine it doesn't go on the airplane." Upon my return I first processed a
roll that was only partially exposed; there was no fogging. I had no problem
getting hand checks departing the US.
Oliver Bryk