Subject: [Leica] FS: Black Three Lug Red Dot M5 (Lower more realistic price?)
From: MEBérubé <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:47:44 -0500

For Sale:
One Black Chrome Leica M5. Three Lugs. SN 1363262. With the original box,
styrofoam insert, import certificate and "E. Leitz, Inc. Guarantee" papers
(Dated 11/16/74 and all matching the SN of the camera.) I'll throw in an M
body cap, the M5 Brochure (110-87 a/Engl.) and a photo copied set of M5
repair instructions from The Camera Craftsman MAR/APR 1974 issue that I got
on the "auction-site-that-is-unmentionable" on the LUG.

I paid $1680 for this at the PHSNE show last year, but am asking a more
palatable $1200 now because I need to pay it off and focus on the Cosina
equipment that I've chosen to pursue. (Which better fits my budget.) I will
also consider $1000 and a working LTM non-Russian (which won't fit on a
Bessa) 35/? lens of some sort.

This camera is in fully operable and pretty nice condition. The RF spot is
accurate and fully usable in even really low light but the mirror is
starting to 'speckle' and should be fixed during the next CLA. (This is not
urgent. I've used the camera for almost a year with very good results in
all types of light. It just means the camera isn't still in mint
condition.) There is the usual slight wear of the finish on the base plate
and the small bit of vulcanite is missing from inside of the third strap
lug over the screws that tighten the lug to the body. The remainder of
vulcanite is supple, intact and in great condition. The spot meter and all
speeds are flawless in operation. I have just replaced the plastic inserts
in the frame preview and the self timer levers with all black versions. (I
had lost one of them and the bright white inserts stood out too much for my
tastes.) I placed a Leica "red dot" below and between the "Leica" and the
"M5" on the front of the camera just for squeaks and giggles. If the buyer
doesn't like it s/he may remove it, but it certainly is identifiable in a
crowd of M5s this way.

Images are available on my site here: http://www.GoodPhotos.com/M5.html for
anyone who is interested in the package.

Thanks.
Michael E. Bérubé