Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash & M4 - 2
From: MEBérubé <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:12:25 -0500

At 02:27 PM 3/9/01 +0000, Alastair Cowe wrote:
>  I'm a little confused by the two flash sockets on the rear of my M4-2, and
>I would like some help or advice.
>
>  The sockets are labelled  M (on the left) &  X (on the right).. The  Hove/
>Leica M's manual show the M4 as having symbols.. the 'electrical'
>  flash on the left, and  a 'bulb' on the right.. Am I right to assume that I
>  plug my Metz 45 into the left (M) socket on the M4-2.??

Actually, the X synch is for modern flash units while the M synch is a
delayed synch for flash bulb use.

>  The other thing I am concerned about is if the Metz 45 unit may be putting
>too much 'load' into the camera's flash circuit?

this I have no idea about, but have a 285HV (High Voltage) Vivitar that I
have used with my M5 (which has the same X&M on the back) on several
occasions without harming anything.

>  Thanks for any help / opinions..(I only want to use the flash for  abit of
>  fill in, honest) I've always been amazed that these 'available light '
>  camera's have three flash connections!

For fill flash you may want to try to get an old bulb holder and play with
the M synch option. I believe it allows you use of the flash up to 1/500
which is easier for fill flash anyhow. (This is one of the reasons I
initially bought my M5...the M6 didn't have the M synch option.)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube