Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Contax T3
From: "Edward Kieltyka" <EKIELTYKA@twmi.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:44:35 -0500

Dante A. Stella <dante@umich.edu> wrote (edited):

> Sonnar is nothing more than a trade name.
>
> Contax is currently a big abuser of the Sonnar name. Even the
> 90/2.8 G-Sonnar is not a Sonnar. It's an Ernostar, but since
> Contax can use the name Sonnar it does. Contax hasn't made a
> real Sonnar for G or in a compact since maybe the original T
> in 1985.
>
> Sonnars are great in the 38 to 40mm range: you have the T
> Sonnar 38/2.8, the Rollei HFT-Sonnar 40/2.8, the original Zeiss
> Tenax 40mm f/2, and (I believe) the Contaflex TLR. All were
> great fun.

I have no idea whether or not the '50s vintage 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar (for
Zeiss-Ikon Contax RF cameras) is the Real McCoy but it's a wonderful little
lens. I found one late last year at a local shop for under $100
(cosmetically a little worn, optically pristine) and have been knocked out
by its performance.

I presume Summicron and Summilux also fall into the trade name category.
It's hard to imagine the new 28mm 'cron's design having much in common with,
say, that of the 90mm 'cron.

- -Dave-

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] OT: Contax T3)