Subject: Re: [Leica] Which M6?
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:17:34 -0500

Canon did the 1:1 for 35mm in the P.  It was ok, but the eye relief is the
killer problem.  You can see the lines ok without glasses, but with... it was
every man for himself.  To do this right, you would need to make the  finder
windows reeaaally big to pull it off properly.  The P had a pretty big set of
windows, I believe as big as the Bessa has now.

It would be probably a good idea for Bessa in terms of focusing accuracy, but to
make any more lenses usable a quantum leap in magnification would also have to
go with a quantum leap in real BL.

The problem with the 1:1 idea, if there is one, is that the natural evolution of
designs showed it to be a dead-end.  The M2, since it had a completely different
finder and top plate, would have been the logical place for this to be done.
Canon dropped the P's 1:1 finder and went to a 0.8x in the 7 and 7s.   Leica
declined to even go as high as 0.91x in the M6J/M6HM, which means that there was
some reason, practical or economic, to forget about 1:1.  Only Konshiroku
continued to use 1:1 magnification at all, and that was in the IIIA and IIIM
rangefinder cameras (and what finders those were!).  The Soviets had roughly 1:1
in the later Zorkis.  It may be that a certain amount of empty space around the
framelines is desirable.  Certainly it would seem harder to make a good
wide-angle finder.

Personally, I find low-mag finders easier on my eyes than high for the wideangle
stuff.  You can wear sunglasses or real glasses.  The shooting with both eyes
open thing is appealing for a 50mm lens, but its usefulness really depends on
whether your mind filters out the framelines and RF spot.  The Zeiss Kontur is a
fundamentally different design for a reason - overcoming the mental filtering --
although (wheels turning) you could tape your M3's VF window and RF window,
leaving only the illuminator open and do the same thing (which, by the way,
actually works).