Subject: RE: [Leica] angle of veiw
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:39:18 -0000

Mark,
I used to think that the horizontal width would be the most useful for us
'joe public' to see, but of course these lens deigners still have to worry
about generating a circular image, irrespective of the film format used
behind the lens, in front of the plane of focus. To them, the angle is
width, and hieght and diagonal. It's merely us photographers who impose a
rectangle on their glorious circular image.
Maybe Eastman got it right with the first Kodak box cameras, they left the
image circular. No more arguments about "I think this would look better as
a vertical composition", everyone looked through a 'porthole'.

Jem