Subject: Re: [Leica] Thumbnail size
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 13 Mar 2001 07:47:38 -0800

On Mon, 12 March 2001, "Craig Semetko" wrote:

> Hello gang,
>
> I'm dangerously close to finishing up my website but I have a pressing
> question. I would like a small but adequately sized preview thumbnail for
> each picture. Then an appropriately sized enlargement should appear when one
> clicks on the thumbnail. My question is this: Is there a standard
> file/actual size for thumbnails and corresponding enlargements? Or tried and
> true file sizes? Obviously, I would like the downloading time to be as short
> as possible. But I do not want the image quality to suffer.  I mean, hey,
> that Leica glass has to have a chance to show its stuff, right?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Craig

Craig, for the thumbnails I'm not too concerned about the image quality suffering.  The idea behind my thumbnails is to grab attention quickly, so I try to keep the size down for fast downloads with slower modems (and I have a perfect "worst case" modem at home).  I also try to keep the number of thumbnails per page to a workable minimum, again for quicker downloads.

Once the visitor has clicked on a thumbnail, he/she has decided to look at the image in detail so my full-size images are higher quality.  My recent full-sized image files are typically limited to 600 pixels in the longer dimension to allow reasonable downloads consistent with good image quality.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe