Subject: Re: [Leica] Soft Release
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:28:52 EST

 I wish that the alloy used was cheap. It is a certified areospace alloy that
costs about US$ 15/kg and after that it is run on an automated turning center
that costs about $200/hour to operate. I dont know if you know anything about
machining, but the Softrelease is done in a single pass through the machining
center and the program for running it, boggles the mind! Several people have
said the same thing and gone to machinists to try to have the Softies
duplicated. In all cases they have been told 'Can't even run them for $10
each".  There are plenty of Softreleases available in "cheap" aluminium but
they suffer from one major problem. The threads are pressed in to the metal
and they often break off in the cable release thread of the camera. Simple
design is not necessarily cheap and high quality material never is!
Tom A