Subject: Re: [Leica] Vulcanite
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:10:10 -0500

Well, the vulcanite on a FED I I got to play with had turned brownish-green-
like the vulcanite stems on some of my pipes- since I haven't smoked since
1986, I suppose that Vulcanite 'oxidises' with age and di-use!
Since this is going to be a 'shelf camera' I blackened the shell with Kiwi
Edge Dressing- a dye for coloring shoe sole edges, and it is designed not to
rub off to mark floors, so I figured if it would dye leather and rubber shoe
soles, it would work on vulcanite! It seems to have done the job- the shell
of the old FED looks like new, it doesn't rub ofgf on my hands, so for
display purposes, it works. When I get the shutter curtains in, I will test
it out, and see if the finish is as durable as it looks. I figured that if
this stuff would stick to a shoe sole with all the wet and abrasion it would
get, that a camera body would be a walk in the park!
I have used Fiebing's Leather Dye for touching up the color on the real
leather on a Rollei with excellent results!
Dan