Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:45:22 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> made by Cosina and not by "Voigtländer".  The products are NOT made by
> Voigtländer, a defunct German company.  They are made by Cosina.  Why is
> Cosina so afeared of using their own name on their own products?
>
> This is a LEICA Users' Group.  I was unaware I belonged to a COSINA Users'
Group.  I do belong to several Lists which involve the real Voigtlander
> name and heritage, and am an early member of the Voigtländer Verein, the
> Mark organization.  But, again, this is the LEICA Users' Group, and let it
> rest their.
>
> I recognize that Stephen Gandy, as a vendor, has a vested fiscal interest
> in this issue, and that Tom Abrahamson appears to have the same (note:  he
> has NOT denied that he receives goodies or money or favors from Cosina!).
>
> Again, Ted, does the word "E T H I C S" mean anything to you?
>
> Cosina seems to have no ethics.  If they did, they would quit this hiding
> behind the "Voigtländer" name and would be honest enough to list their
> products in their own name.<<<<<<<<

Howdy Marc,
It appears there are a couple of things happening here. Certainly which
requires some solid legal understanding in the use of the word
"Voigtlander."

I know you can give assistance in this matter in a manner that may put much
of this ethics thing to rest, as I still don't understand what the problem
is if Cosina purchased the right to use the Voigtlander name in a correct
and legal manner.

The use of the Voigtlander name which I have to assume was purchased by
Cosina giving them the right to use the name legally and in whichever manner
they wish inrelation to photographic equipment.

And if this is the case, "a legally purchased right" I still don't
understand the problem of ethics. I certainly can understand if Cosina were
ripping off the name in an underhanded manner to flog their lenses and I'd
go along with you in the blink of an eye regarding the ethics of doing it in
a nefarious manner.

However, if they purchased the name and are producing a fine selection of
quite acceptable lenses to work with Leica cameras, be that of whatever
model, I don't have an iota of an ethics thing at all.

Is it no different than in the car industry today where one big company buys
out another and then continues to sell Chrysler products when there isn't in
reality a "Chrysler company?"  And owned by a German firm?

I agree with you this is a Leica users bunch of shooters and at the moment,
as happens, it appears there is an overwhelming pile of Cosina/Voigtlander
traffic, but isn't this merely to explain that the C-V lenses are available
to the Leica cameras we all use?

name on their own products?<<<<<<<

I don't think that's the case at all, as I would have to imagine it's good
business to use the valued name of a historically famous and high quality
name of a company they purchased to use the name. Now wouldn't that seem a
reasonable business assumption?

If Leica were to crash and burn, that which seems at times will happen right
here on the screen in the opinions of some LUG writers, wouldn't it be
prudent on the part of  lets say, CANON if they were to purchase the
remnants to continue calling the camera a Leica? Certainly if they purchased
the right to use it?

And would that be unethical if they did so?

Over to you my friend in a completely legal manner without any emotional
attachments.
thanks,
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited