Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa T Conspiracy
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:59:27 EST

Steve, as a contributing editor to the Viewfinder I can supply material I
think is interesting. The material on page 2 of last Viewfinder was not
supplied by me. Our editor went to the Voigtlander Press Conference at
Photokina and got the material there! The article about Cosina's factory is
of interest to the LHSA readers as I was allowed in to Cosina's glass making
plant (Leica does not have one of these anymore) and I wanted to show that
glass making is not a clinical operation. It is blasting furnaces and flying
dust and a lot of handwork. I am lucky that  Mr Kobyashi and his staff are
willing to spend time with me. Think about it yourself, if you are a
photographer (and gear head)! and you get to sit down with the people who can
design new lenses, new cameras and accessories and you have a discussion with
them. They ask your opinion and you can suggest things and it is done in a
friendly and informal manner. Would you say that "No thanks, that would not
interest me at all!" Over the years I have visited Leica Wetzlar and Solms
quite regularly and gotten to know several of the people there. They do the
same thing, often the discussion can be about new products, potential
problems with the current products or improvements to current models. Any
manufacturer will do this, sometimes they have Focus-Groups, large groups of
people, often with little or know connection to the product whose opinions
are asked for. Sometimes this is good, but with a product like a camera or a
lens, it is also important to talk to users and I do not flatter myself into
thinking that I have changed any major part of a design, but I am one of the
people  that is asked. Sure, it is an ego-trip to be asked and occasionally
recognise a minute change on a product later one. "Hey, I was one of the
people who suggested that!". This does not qualify as a "paid Consultant" -
so far only benefit has been some lunches at Leica Solms Cafeteria (a mixed
pleasure) and the possibility to aquire Cosina stuff early and at a dealer
price (and I do not resell any of these pieces).
 I am a photographer first and foremost, I like cameras and optics and if I
find something that I like why should I not tell other photographers about it!
 Just to make your day, I also have a 4 page article in the next Viewfinder
about Cuba - all of it shot with Leica M2's and pre-1960's 35/2, 50/2 and
90/2,8 (all made by Leica). There is a 1-page announcement about the Bessa-T,
but considering that it is a M-mount camera, it does have significance to the
Viewfinder reader. Now go out and shoot some film, I will.
Tom A