Subject: Re: Ken's Telyt photos (was: Re: [Leica] Change of topic: PHOTOGRAPHY!)
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:32:54 -0800

>  Ken, the bird is a Snowy Egret.

Thanks.  If you need to have a mushroom to be id'ed, I may be of help,
though.

...  Doug's excellent advise snipped ...

> One trick I've used in tidal environments is to lie down on the pickleweed
as the tide is coming in, allowing the rising tide to push the birds toward
me.  It's best to do this while wearing clothes that you were going to throw
out anyway.  The birds will not be as alarmed by the lower profile, and the
gradually rising tide gives them time to figure out that you're harmless.

There are many salt marshes and tidal environments in my area, as you know:
the now-famous Bolinas Lagoon, Richardson Bay, Corte Madera, among many
others.  In particular, in Richardson Bay, birds are very used to having
humans in their territory: there is a multi-use path running right through
it, and you often seen herons and snowy egrets within 10 ft of the trail.  I
may try my luck there this weekend.

BTW, the Telyt was the second least expensive Leica lens I ever bought.
Quite a bargain.