Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The Edge of Teeth and Erwin's prose
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:44:12 -0800

Douglas Cooper wrote:

>I really don't find this comparison of the M3 and the M6 fruitless.  It
>offers a strong indication of the decline at Solms, and is the best argument
>for taking Erwin's site with a grain of salt.  Leica makes no money from
>it's earlier products, so it is very much in their best interest to convince
>Erwin (and through him, us) that the current products are an improvement.
>And in the absence of Erwin's refutation, it is pretty clear that they are
>not.

Douglas,

What about those of us that have used and compared old and new equipment,
and have come to the conclusion that the new stuff is indeed better, at
least with respect to our own photography? Are we not entitled to that
opinion, independant of whatever Erwin may or may not have to say on the
subject?

The categorical assertion that old Leica equipment is "better" than their
new offerings seems no different than claiming that the new stuff is
indisputably better than the old, and isn't that what you're objecting to
with Erwin?

Guy

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: The Edge of Teeth and Erwin's prose)