Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 19 Mar 2001 13:53:10 -0800

On Mon, 19 March 2001, "Victor Wek" wrote:

> I compared ‘artistic’
> impressions between Canon new lenses 20-35/2.8mm and 70-200/2.8 (owned by my
> friend) and my new 35/2 and 90/2.
> Photos made by Canon lenses look dirty, flat. The focus is there, each
> picture looks sharp but it is not sharp (it is difficult to explain), the
> sharpness is washed up. Color transfer by Leica lenses is richer, different
> then Canon. We both made photos on Velvia, on tripod, the same time,
> aperture,  the same landscape… If we follow MDF the lenses have similar
> resolution, but each photo looks differently.

This is probably because the Leica lenses control internal reflections better than the Canon zooms.  IMHO the popularity of high-saturation films like Velvia is related to the prevalance of non-Leica lenses, particularly zooms, in the hands of most 35mm photographers.

As with your Leica/Canon comparison, the difference I see between Leica (in my case, R) images and photos made with the Nikkors I used to use is the color rendition.  In my case I'm comparing primes to primes, and the results are the same: I like the color rendition of the Leica lenses much better, and I have far less trouble with flare.

Under ordinary circumstances some of the difference can be compensated for by using high-saturation films like Velvia or E100VS but under difficult lighting conditions the lack of flare in the R lenses has allowed me to make photos that would not have worked had I been using the Nikkors.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe