Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 35mm M Summicron ASPH lens-flare
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 21 Mar 2001 10:51:58 -0800

On Wed, 21 March 2001, "george day" wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I didn't suggest using two filters at once!  If you're shooting an image
> with the sun in it, the overwhelming light is a problem.  You'll lose
> definition in the sky, for sure, and you run the risk of flare

George,

A single filter has 2 air/glass interfaces, and will reduce the intensity of all light, not just the brightest areas (sunlight).  I can see that the filter will reduce overall light levels such that 1/1000 @ f/16 will not cause overexposure, but AFAIK it's the reduced exposure, not the filter that improves the definition in the sky.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe