Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:31:17 EST

In a message dated 3/21/01 9:28:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
m.sadat@verizon.net writes:

<< tom what are the major diff between your rapid winder and the new leica
one.
 I am thinking of getting one and I would appreciate your expert opinion,
 thanks mehrdad

Mehrdad, the basic difference between the Rapidwinder and the Leicawinder-M
is that mine is manual and theirs is battery powered. Shooting speed is
similar; with some experience you can fire away up to 3 frames/second with
the Rapidwinder. Another diffrence that I find important is that you decide
when to advance. Sometimes it is prudent not to advance after a shot -
particularly if you are shooting in an area where the subjects might object.
The battery powered winder will advance after every exposure and although it
is quiet (as motorwinders go), it has a distinct noise to it.
 I never liked the old style M-winder, big and clumsy and I had high hopes
for the new one. In 1996 I proposed a design to Leica (at Photokina) with the
batteries in the grip and a housing similar in size to my winder.
Unfortunately they "screwed up" the design; the current version has a grip
that looks like something from a Topcon DM camera in the 60's. The housing is
Makrolon (fancy word for reinforced plastic) and I have some doubts about the
strength of the battery holder/grip part. Any grip on an M-camera should be
able to hold a body and a heavy lens (Noctilux/Summilux 75). Leica has not
allowed me to test if it can do this.
 The Leicawinder also has a distinct "kick" in the shutter-release. It bumps
up-down for every exposure and if you are shooting sequences at slow speed,
it bumps enough to shake the camera. The Rapidwinder does the same thing (it
is a function of the shutter release, not a flaw in either winder), but as
you are controlling the function of the Rapidwinder, you  compensate for it
as you anticipate it.
 Otherwise the differences are mainly $200 in Rapidwinder's favour and the
fact that you never have to buy batteries for it.
 It is one of those things that you should try both out and make a judgement
based on that.
All the best,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson