Subject: [Leica] Ted and Brad and Karen and Karen AND JIM MARSHALL!;-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:46:44 -0800

 Hi Gang,

A CameraWorld Portland Oregon report.

As many of you know I went to the CameraWorld photo extravaganza on Friday
to present a bunch of Leica slide images to a breathless audience. ;-) Ya
right!;-)

As I entered the arrivals lounge in Portland a person approached and said,
" Ted, Mark Rabiner, welcome to Portland!" :-)

Well like many of us the LUG we are friends by screen but at most times we
are not hand shaking in the flesh face to face friends.... that was up till
that moment.

Finally after probably close to four years it became a warm hand shake
friend to friend greeting. For those of you who've never enjoyed the
experience I'll once again say that it's one of the best, certainly far
better than playing with the toys, moments of finally meeting, greeting and
the hand shake of a fellow LUG nut face to face.

Sure beats the hell out of the name on the screen friendship. Now there is a
real person, a warm blooded Leica carrying human being and not some visual
nonentity. Wonderful.

We spent a short time together with the Leica rep for the Northwest, Brad
Weeks who at that time told us the other Leica speaker was Jim Marshall and
he was speaking on Saturday morning.

Unfortunately I did my thing and had to leave early this morning missing
Jim's slide presentation.  However, I did meet him for lunch on Friday and
enjoyed this "wild man of Leica and rock and roll fame!

Man he is just something else, an absolute ball of energy and talking a blue
streak with words in mili-second bursts, we rapped about who we
photographed, hassled the young waitress, well OK he hassled the waitress...
for those of you who think Jim is still the young guy we see in pictures as
a "young rock & roll chasing shooter" he isn't, although certainly has the
energy level of a 20 year old!

He now collects his social security cheque and recently turned 65, which
makes him a spring chicken to the old fart here. ;-) But there must be
something about this Leica and photography thing to keep old guys and with
no reason to think otherwise, lady shooters also, young. And even though we
drag our asses after a major shoot, their seems to be energy levels we have
that I don't see in others who've not played at the great game of
photography during their lives.

I saw an "O Leica" fresh out of the box, it truly is a strange looking and
feeling machine, not something I took to quickly and warmly, but more a
curiosity toy to handle for a moment and then turn into a table ornament!
:-)  Sorry to those of you who've lurched to the bank and bought one. ;-)

After I did my thing with slides I spent a wonderful evening with Mark and
his gracious wife Karen who cooked a great home made spaghetti meal, which
was also shared with Karen Schreiber and her daughter visiting from
California.

We checked out Mark's photo operation and looked at "real prints," always a
joy compared to the on the screen snaps of any site.

The evening closed with Mark and Karen returning me to the hotel where I
departed very early this morning for home with a plane load of high school
teen agers going on the yearly "March school break!"  My gawd how could
there be that much noise in one plane! ;-)

So there you go folks... meeting Mark Rabiner and Jim Marshall all in one
shot is something I'll savor for some time to come! :-)

Best of all? The Rabiner hand shake and smile!   Thanks Mark! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant