Subject: Re: [Leica] leica vs medium format
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:37:57 -0500

Summicron1@aol.com wrote:

> Buy it, never sell it, learn to love it.
>
> Leica is a marvelous camera for press-type work, fast moving action, street
> shooting, whatever.
>
> The Rollei is an equally marvelous camera for more comtemplative work, those
> times you want to go out and plan Ansel Adams. It is unparalleled in
> construction, optical quality and reliability. There is no conflict, the
> cameras are used for completely different types of shooting-- people who say
> it is hard to follow action with a rollei should be using their leica for
> that anyway.
>
> And the final prints from a Rollei even if shot on Tri-X film, will blow your
> mind.
>
> ctrentelman
> owns both, loves both
> utah

While I agree with you and everyone else who has sung the praises of the
Rollei, I disagree when you dismiss it for "press work." In the 50s the
Rollei was one of the most popular cameras for photojournalism. Once you
really learn how to use it, and get comfortable with it, you can do
almost anything with it that you can do with the standard lens -
including sports and other action photography.

My first "job" in photography was as a 16-year-old unpaid photographer
for a weekly paper in suburban Connecticut - and all I had to use that
summer was a Rollei. And I did fine.

Sure, a Leica is easier for action, but then there are cameras that are
more suited to sports photography than a Leica - M or R - but no one
wants to hear about that on this list...;-)

B. D.