Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600 and Rodinal
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:34:50 -0500

on 3/24/01 10:45 PM, Pete Su at psu_13@yahoo.com wrote:

> I ended up trying rodinal 1:50 for 9min at 68deg, and that got negatives that
> are on the thin side.

that surprises me. When you say 'thin' do you mean 'flat'? Thin negs are
usually a result of underexposure. Neopan 1600 is around 1200-1600 true
speed from my own tests. In dilute Rodinal you should get at least that
speed if not more.

If you were shooting in very flat, dark conditions like people do with 1600
film you may just not have got enough contrast range and everything fell
into Zone III-V (no real highlights). That would look thin I guess. Look at
the shadows where you would expect to find detail. Is it there?

If so then yeah you need to up the time in the dev to get the contrast you
need. If not then you are not fully exposing the film and you should change
the EI you use before you mess with the dev times. More dev time won't give
you more shadow detail.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com