Subject: [Leica] Re: Rolleiflex 3.5F
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:46:44 -0500

Dave Jenkins wrote:

>For instance,
>you will often hear that the 50mm lens for 6x4.5 or 6x6cm is equal to a

>28 on a 35mm camera. But in side to side coverage, the 50 is only equal

>to 33mm

Dave,

I'm with Johnny Deadman on this in saying it depends. For instance, when
I'm shooting groups I usually use a Hasselblad and often (because of
space) I'm using a 50mm. If I were to shoot it on the Leica I could
probably get away with using a 35mm lens but you have to remember that
side to side measurements have to take account of the fact that if the
end product is intended to be an 8x10 print, the 35mm negative is going
to have to be cropped which would mess up your horizontal measuring
technique.

In practice, I think it's best to simply get used to the capabilities of
each format based on the way you use them, rather than trying to equate
different formats.

Simon Stevens