Subject: Re: [Leica] Help! Perplexing development problem (D400/Xtol)
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:59:51 +0200

Hello Henning

please let me know how you do a developer snip test . Do you use the
film leader for this? (I use the leader for a hypo snip test.) How
long do you develop? Can development time be shortened as the film
has gotten so much exposure? Do you do the test in a cup/glass or in
the tank? Is there a standard to compare with, like when fixing time
has doubled it is time to throw away the hypo? (BTW I store my 5
liters of Xtol in dark brown glass one liter bottles. It has never
gone bad yet and the maximum storage time has been nine months. Now
we shall see if the it has been so cold that the bottles I left in
France have cracked.

Regards
Chris

>My method of storing it (I use the 5 litre size) is to put it into
>used apple juice boxes. These are 6 litre boxes with a plastic bag
>with dispenser spout on the inside. I fill them up, squeeze all the
>air out, and then set them up so that I can decant whatever quantity
>of stock developer I want, without letting any air in. The longest
>I've had one of these is 9 months, and it still worked. The last
>time or two I used it I did a snip test just for developer action. I
>was using some other developers in between, but usually I use it all
>within a month or two.
>
>--
>    *            Henning J. Wulff
>   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design