Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 85mm f2
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:23:45 -0500

on 3/26/01 2:32 PM, Juan J. Buhler at jbuhler@pdi.com wrote:

> I'm in the look for a Jupiter-9 85mm f2. I've looked in the archives
> for comments on this lens, but there's one thing I cannot find: What
> years are the safest to go with?  I'll probably be buying from ebay,
> unless someone suggests a good source for these things in the San
> Francisco bay area, so I won't be able to try before I buy.

Juan, mine was a total dog, which was a shame because I wanted to like it.
Eventually I discovered the problem was that the focus cam had WORN DOWN
FROM USE. I could not believe it but the camera store (Jessops classic in
Pied Bull Yard, London) agreed with the diagnosis. Must have been
phenomenally soft metal. Never seen anything like it before or since. Got my
money back from the dealer. A shame because it had a lovely tonal quality
when focused, quite unlike any other lens and certainly superior in look if
not sharpness to either my voigtlander 75 or (heresy!) the skinny
tele-elmarit. Both of these are fine lenses but a good jupiter has something
about it that's unique. Probably uncorrected spherical aberrations! But you
absolutely must try before you buy and make sure you do a critical focus
test wide open at near focus and infinity. It is easy to blame yourself with
this lens because at f/2 focused close, the dof is vanishingly thin.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com