Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:27:13 -0800

My first wedding shoot was of a famous supermodel and rock star back in the early 80's. I just happened to know the bride and accepted when she asked. Shot at night on a boat in New York harbor (to keep the paparazzi away). It was all done in PJ style with B&W and some color. Used R4's w/35/50/90mm and flash mostly. M's would have been better to focus in the dim light.

Talk about nerve wracking! I did all right, but with more wedding experience I would have been better prepared. Most of the best photographers I know will not do a wedding if you beg them (and I have-which is why I ended up with a hack at mine) if they haven't already done a few.

The best part for me was not my fee for the shooting, but what I was paid for the media usage that was arranged and controlled by the bride and groom. People ran a cover and five page spread and photos also appeared in Newsweek and some overseas press.

 I did hear a story about a wedding photograher, who after having a few drinks at the reception decided to get a bit creative with a high angle shot of the cake cutting ceremony that required the use of a ladder. He fell into the cake. Never got the shot!

Take care in choosing your wedding photographer.

Robert