Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tripod Lust
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:17:33 +0800

Frank,

I have both the Gitzo G1227 and G1228 tripods and until recently I had been
using the Arca Swiss B1 ballhead with them.  You are right - this head was
too heavy for these two tripods which had the tendency to topple with the B1
mounted.

The B1 has since been transferred to my new Gitzo G1349 carbon fibre tripod
which is more substantial and can tolerate the mass of the B1.

For my G1227/8 I now have the Velbon PH-273 magnesium alloy ball head which
is light and solid.  It weighs only 470g and if this is not light enough,
its younger brother PH-263 weighs only 280g.  They are not as sophisticated
as the Arca Swiss B1, lacking the friction and panning controls.  But for my
limited use, I have no complaint whatsoever.  And considering they cost a
quarter to a third of the Arca, I am indeed very pleased!

Bests,

Joseph