Subject: [Leica] Re: Questions re New Leica M Winder
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:26:22 +1000

"Irving" <Papyg@aol.com> wrote:

> [new compact M Motor]

> Has anyone tried it?  Is it quiet?  How is the handling?
> Does anyone who has used Tom's RapidWinder compared it to
> the new Leica winder?

Although Paul Chefurka covered almost everything I wanted to
say, I would like to add a small note about the shutter button
'backlash' however...

I have found that the best way to control this is to unscrew
the softie and just use the shutter button 'naked'.  Without
the softie your finger can rest on the circular finger-guard
surrounding the threaded shutter button, allowing you to
easily control the amount of pressure you need to apply to
the shutter to trip it for one frame or 2 or continuous.

Because you can easily rock your finger up and down on the
shutter, you can smoothy 'ride' the shutter-button's recoil
without jerking the camera between shots.  A bit odd, yes,
especially for the EOS / F4/F5 crowd - but I have been doing
this for 4 rolls now and it works great.

Not so easy to control with a softie in place however, because
your finger has nothing other than the broad button to rest on.
So although a softie makes the shutter easier to trip, it also
makes it more difficult to 'ride the waves' between shots when
the motor kicks back the shutter button.

Other impressions:

o  Even on the 'quiet' setting, I found the motor a little too
   noisy for stealth shooting.  Thank goodness you can switch it
   off!  Nevertheless, I managed to cut down on the noise problem
   by making a reinforced leather cover for my camera + motor which
   has holes cut into it for the lens + VR & RF windows + shutter
   button & s/speed dial.  This cover now stays on the camera all
   then time and acts like what cinematographers call a "blimp",
   helping to lower the sound level a fair amount (as well as
   incidentally protect the camera body from bumps and greasy
   fingers etc).

o  Rewind would have been nice - a 4th switch on the motor speed
   dial for v2?

o  I wish the motor gears would completely disengage when you
   switch the motor off and instead are winding via the camera's
   advance lever.  As it stands, you get a clickety-clack sound
   on every hand wind.

o  IMO, the superceded, bloated Winder Ms are now for collectors
   only!

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds