Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica KM-lens question
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:16:51 -0500

The numbers
- ----------------
As a preliminary manner, Erwin's calculations (if you believe them) show that a 0.6 RF is perfectly suitable for any of the lenses
listed below.  As a practical matter, I have used a 50/1.2, an 85/2 and a 135/3.5 close up and wide open, and they work.  I'll take it
on faith that the 75/1.4 works too.  I think Dan Honemman found that it did.

The phantom problem
- --------------------------
This RF thing is something of myth.  A few people bitch, a lot of people repeat.  I think I addressed this here, but I have had two
Hexar RF bodies, one early and one later in production.  The first one looked like it focused past infinity, but in reality it didn't.
The second one doesn't look like it focuses past infinity.  A lot of it is psychosomatic.  Even assuming that the RF went past
infinity, it would have you focusing just in front of the subject.  This is not all bad, since it maximizes depth of field (no one
cares about what is behind or inside the subject), and since focusing behind is disastrous.  Maybe it's a step designed to enhance DOF
with lenses that would be iffy to focus otherwise.  We'll never know the answer.

The Hexar mythos
- ----------------------
Konica is inscrutable.  No one can explain the strange products they make.  You either like them or you don't.  Leica users either love
them or hate them.

There is no explanation of why the Hexar RF has certain features and lacks others.  The company will meet your questions with silence.
Even when they repair something, there is none but the most cryptic explanation.

Just think of it as a Zen conceit.

Replies: Reply from ray tai <razerx@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Konica KM-lens question)
Message from "KIMO williamhu99" <williamhu99@kimo.com.tw> ([Leica] test)
Message from "KIMO williamhu99" <williamhu99@kimo.com.tw> ([Leica] Konica KM-lens question)