Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica M4 - 2
From: Alastair Cowe <a.cowe@ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:01:56 +0100

This happened to me too..when taking the camera from a jacket pocket,
unaware that I'd pressed the lens release
my 50/2 dropped onto a concrete pavement. I was  trying  to take photo's of
the Chinese New Year
festivities in London a couple of years ago..very , very crowded. I think I
was lucky to even retreive my lens in the crush of (moving)
people.
The only damage was to the focus barrel, which appears to have shifted
forward, the metal lenshood (detachable) took most of the impact
The lens was still very usable (with no infinity focus)  but it was checked
at Leica UK a few months later..a few adjustments (Colimated?) and it's
fine.
they even rounded out the 'flat' on the lenshood..
Now, as soon as the camera is to hand, I automatically check that the lens
is secure!

Regards
Alastair Cowe