Subject: [Leica] Re:Not Leica quality
From: rshuntl@netscape.net (Steve Huntley)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:00:59 -0400

Ted,
   After all the good reviews I heard on the LUG and elsewhere about the 15mm Heliar, I was very disappointed with the results. I shot film in a variety of conditions: Inside my home, outside for photos of buildings and for a big construction project in Evanston, Ill., shooting with the sun to my back, to the side and even shooting into the sun. I took it back to Central Camera/Chicago, which I have always found to be an excellent place to do business, showed them the prints and the salesman (who appeared knowledge about Leica as well as the Heliar) did not even bring up the issue of perhaps it was a bum lens. I had expected that Central might bring that up and offer me another one but they did not. The salesman said only that vignetting was to be expected in a 15mm. I said I was prepared for some vignetting but not to the point that the corners and especially the left edge were so underexposed as to require a lot of Photoshop work which still could not produce detail that was!
 not there. If I run across someone with one perhaps I'll try to get him let me use it on the chance that I did get a lemon. I was very excited about this lens, but I don't think my expectations were out of line. Thanks.--Steve