Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin's Leica Lens Compendium
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:13:50 EDT

Henning:

You've made my point. It was you who referred to the DR as a "tank." That was
my only quibble. As to Marc's point about the portability of the "eyes," I
fully agree. I carry the eyes too. My point there was that if weight were
such a compelling factor to a user, without the eyes, the weights of the DR
and the chrome 11819 are essentially equivalent.

Tell me about automobiles. I owned a 1950 Ford flathead V-8 in college (in
1950); I didn't own another American car until buying a new 1992 Ford Taurus
SHO. I've also raced sports cars here and in Europe and currently own the
prototype 1967 Ferrari 365 GTC that I bought in 1978 when it was just another
used sports car and at a price I could afford!

Weight in autos does not equate to either quality, handling or safety. But
the analogy doesn't hold. Because if you don't think that there is a
difference between brass and alloy in lens construction, ask the top private
Leica service and repair people about the alloy diaphragm rings they have had
to repair or replace because they became out-of-round.

Seth