Subject: Re: [Leica] Myth and anti-myth
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:19:05 EDT

Thank you, Erwin. I think there is some misunderstanding. While we have
differed and probably still do as to the comparative merits of the 50mm
Summicrons, I agree with you that the lens designer strives for maximum
contrast and resolution within the parameters of the possible. The possible
relates to projected selling price, available glasses and their cost,
physical manufacturing construction costs and the concomitant maintenance of
design tolerances, etc.

But the fact of the matter is that when Leitz lens designers recomputed the
50/2 Summicron in 1979 (11819), they sought and achieved enhanced contrast
and the result was that that lens, as you have written, does not match the
resolution of the DR.

As to your two other points, I am in complete agreement. First, With the
exception of a short period 25 years ago when I was using Agfachrome 100 for
the speed, for my color photography I have used nothing but Kodachrome 25
since its introduction and its predecessors before that. And I have been
using K 64 for the last three or four years and just recently began with
K200. I have not the testing  capabilities that you can deploy, but what
these films produce in the final image (slide) is quite remarkable. The
trade-off in narrow latitude and the need for very exact exposure for those
portions of the image that are most important are small prices to pay for the
result.

Second, I have always assumed that Leitz filters provided me with perfect
optical glass and that their mounts provided me with an optical plane
perfectly perpendicular to the lens axis. I have not seen perceptible
degradation of the image unless the scene included light sources or reflected
light in which case I'm going to have flare in any event. I have frequently
left UV filters on my lenses for protection from dust, moisture or my dirty
fingers!

Kudos on your book.          Seth Rosner