Subject: Re: [Leica] .......OT.....Lobsters
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:16:01 -0400

on 4/3/01 9:27 AM, tmlee at clairetm@singnet.com.sg wrote:

> Whats a group of lobsters called ?
>
> TMLee

Ah, grasshopper, as far as I know there isn't an official collective noun
for lobsters (I would love to be corrected).

Most aquatic molluscs use the collective noun 'bed', as in 'a bed of clams'.
However this seems pretty inappropriate for lobsters though I suspect the
fishing community use this. Jellyfish come in smacks, which is cool, but the
only suggestion I have ever heard for lobsters comes from the scuba
community, who understandably suggest 'a risk of lobsters'.

Personally I'd go for 'a nip (or pinch) of lobsters' or 'a claw of
lobsters', but on the other hand given their frequent destiny perhaps it
should be 'a pink of lobsters' or even 'a murder of lobsters', like crows.

All of this leads somewhat inevitably to my final suggestion: 'a dinner of
lobsters'. Who's paying?

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com