Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson Flatbed
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:03:38 -0500

on 4/1/01 1:10 PM, Douglas Cooper at douglas@dysmedia.com wrote:

>> But right now I only have an Epson flatbed with
>> transparency adapter to scan MF, and it is not good enough in the long term.
>> So
>> I am eagerly waiting for the arrival of the new Nikon 8000.
>
> Just as a matter of interest, which Epson do you have?  I've been using the
> 1640SU, but I haven't really put it through its paces.  (Certainly brilliant
> for Web use, but this doesn't say much.)

I have the 1640 too and though its 1600 dpi rating is a bit overcooked, it's
not that bad I don't think. The best test for a filmscanner if you're really
interested in sharpness is to take a super-shape knife and make a series of
crosshatch scratches with it on the emulsion of some scrap film, then scan
that. This removes lenses, camerashake etc from the equation. When I do that
with the 1640 and then apply 100% sharpening @ 0.7 pixels (you always have
to sharpen a bit) the results are pretty good, with just a bit of halation
that I can live with.

One feature of the 1640 is that it DOESN'T seem to do anything in the way of
firm/software sharpening, which may flatbed scanners do to make themselves
appear sharper than they are. Good for Epson.

Certainly good enough to blow up 6x6 to 10x10 inches, and 4x5 to anything I
can print. I'd love 4000 dpi but the kid has to eat...
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] Epson Flatbed)