Subject: Re: [Leica] .......OT.....Lobsters & white wine! now oysters
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <cartersn@nsula.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:22:32 -0500

Tina,

In another life, I shot newsfilm for WWL-TV, the CBS affiliate in New
Orleans. I received an assignment from CBS to shoot film of a guy who
planned to break the World's record for eating oysters, then 40 dozen at one
sitting.

We went to Bozo's Restaurant (then in Mid-city) to film his training
sessions, and that went well, as he was able to easily take on more than
twenty dozen without half-trying. CBS morning news played a tease piece, so
our guy was committed.

For the main event, we went to a beer joint down in St. Bernard Parish right
up next to the oyster lugger docks. They had set up a stage with three
shuckers opening those bigole Louisiana ersters fresh out of the salty water
for our hero.

We got shots of him making up about a quart of the customary sauce from
ketchup, Fresh Zataran's horseradish sauce and lemon juice, the announcer
fired a blank starting pistol, and he started in.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, there was a time limit of an hour.  I also forgot
to tell you that the previous recordholder was eating those fancy little
oysters from France.

He did an amazing job, but about  forty minutes in, our guy slowed; but
still he needed at least ten more dozen and one to win.  So, he shifted into
low gear, and started sliding them down instead of chewing.  I rolled film.

All of a sudden, the contender stopped, arched his back (here, we cut-away
to astonished faces) and lost the battle along with the thirty-something
dozen oysters on CBS morning News.

(Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Leica in this story.  I got some shots with my
Leica IIIf with a Summaron 35mm on Tri-X for UPI that night.)

Ted wrote:

> >Now you did see that I mentioned the rolling sea, right?  Well without
going
> >into details about the second time around or anything like that, but it
was
> >the shortest lobster intake I've ever experienced. ;-)
> >
> >I bet you could've done without that small detail, right? Sorry, but a
Leica

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] .......OT.....Lobsters & white wine! ;-))