Subject: [Leica] The woes of being a Leicaholic in Australia
From: Peter Zak <pzak@desidero.com.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:19:38 +1000

It's bad enough not being able to find any new Leica stock in Australia, let
alone any accessories, as we are just a pimple on the worldwide demand for
Leica's products.

But now I find out that some cashed up American dealers with their real
dollars (as opposed to the Australian paeso) are out buying all of the half
decent 2nd hand gear to import back to the States in order to make a heady
profit.

But be warned - the sunlight and UV in Australia is in fact so strong that
even slight exposure of a Leica lens or body to this radiation is enough to
break down the molecular structure of the materials used.

The aluminium, brass and zinc become brittle like glass, the glass becomes
pliable like rubber, any film put through a body that has been in Australia
quickly turns to a substance that is most similar to contact adhesive.

The vulcanite changes such that it exudes a smell best described to rotting
fish, the glue between any of the glass (or should I say rubber)  surfaces
turns milky and the eyepiece will actually expose the user of the camera to
an extremely contagious variant of mad cow disease.

So if any of the readers of the LUG in the States are offered any ex-Aussie
Leica gear at what seems to be a ridicously low price,  you've been
warned!!!

Best return it back to us down here where an immediate re-exposure to the
strong sunlight (thankfully) neutralises all of the effects mentioned above.

Regards,

Peter Zak.