Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and older lens
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:37:41 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Hemenway wrote:

Hi Gerry & Tarek:

Thanks for your replies.

I'm looking at a Leicaflex R8 with a used, but very nice F4 37-70 R,
(with Macro). I now have a 3 cam 60mm/f2.8 R macro lens on my SL which
I would also like to use on the R8... if I buy it.  The R8 instruction
booklet stated something to the effect that my 60mm needs to be ROMed,
otherwise it can/will damage the camera.  That's why I was wondering
about the cost.

So, now I don't know which is correct Gerry, since you haven't run into
any problems. Do either of you by any chance use an extender with the
60mm Macro?  If so how do you like it?
Jim,

I am neither Gerry nor Tarek but I'll offer my 2 cents anyway.

The R8 will work with any Leica-R lens having 3 cams or just the 3rd
cam. No damage will result and no modification is needed. Absence of
ROM is not a problem; the ROM simply allows the R8 to communicate
information to SCA 3000 flash units having automatic zoom control,
regarding the focal length of the lens in use.

Look on page 61, section 28, of the R8 instruction book issued with the
R8 camera. It says, "All lenses and lens accessories from the Leica R
program, fit on the Leica R8 without any modification . . . [next page]
. . . Leicaflex model lenses and accessories (without R control cam)
must not be used on the Leica R8 since these can damage the camera."
So, it's only the 1-cam and 2-cam lenses that must not be used. The R
control cam referred to here is not the ROM but the 3rd cam that is
needed for any R camera.

To answer your last question, I have both the 60mm macro lens and the
old type 14198 adapter, that is compatible only with the 60mm lens.
Both work fine but you have to set the lens aperture to f/22 before you
can fit it to the adapter, which has its own aperture selector that
couples to the lens. For more information about this lens and macro
adapters, I suggest you look at Doug Herr's review at URL:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/60R28.HTM

Hope this helps.

Regards,

=====