Subject: [Leica] Even Worse Than Scotches: IE Linguistics (OT)
From: Matej Novak <matej.novak@hermes.si>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:07:22 +0200

> >Slovenian language has three differentiations by persons: Singular,
Plural,
> >and Dual (two persons). There are only two other languages in the world
that
> >have Dual as well.
>
> And those are?

 Sorry, but for the first one I know only the Slovenian name
"luzisko-srbski"
maybe Marc knows its english equivalent. And this is one of the Slavic
languages
as well, but for the second one I can't remember which one it is. Note that
these
are generally small languages (Slovenian is spoken by roughly 2 million
people).

> Indonesian langauges ( Bahasa as a common denominator) have two different
'we':
> Kami, being the speaker and the opposite person, and Kita, being we all,
everywhere.

> Is that like what you mean?

 No, not really. It is more like what Slawoy was writing about Polish
language.
Just to give you the example for Dual:
- - "Midva" means me and you (both Male or Male and Female)
- - "Midve" means me and you (both Female)
- - "Vidva" means you and somebody else (both Male or Male and Female)
- - "Vidve" means you and somebody else (both Female)
- - "Onadva" means two people that are not present in the conversation (both
Male or Male and Female)
- - "Onidve" means two people that are not present in the conversation (both
Female)

Matej