Subject: Re: [Leica] NEED ADVISE FOR FILM TANK
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:50:30 -0500

> Hello all . I'm having a problem with the plastic reels of my developing
tank.
> Actually the films are hard to engage in the reels .
>
> Can someone please advise me of a good tank ( for 2 films ) with preferably
> stainless steel reels .
> Thanks
> JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE

I have Jobo tanks and plastic reels. I'm very pleased with both.
I also have some Patterson that I had before Jobo and they're OK too.
Years ago I had metal tanks and reels. My memories of those are not fond.

I can load the Jobo reels faster than any I've tried. I am literally
pushing the film on. No winding, just push it on about 5-6 inches at a
time. I done in seconds - maybe 10 seconds from start to clipping off the
spool. 35mm only, 120 does not work this way!

I open the cannister and slip out the film on the spool. Next I hold the
film and core in my left hand and trim the leader (I never let the film
unwind from the spool). Then I switch hands (still with the film on the
spool) and start the film onto the reel. The spool is held between my
palm and  the last two fingers of my right hand. After I start it on the
reel, I simply pull my right hand away from the reel and allow some film
to unwind from the spool as I do that. Then push that film onto the reel.
Go too far and the film will buckle when you push. Just right and it will
push onto the reel. The key is to not hold anything too tight! Let it all
have some play and the film just flies onto the reel.

Try it in the daylight and see if you can make it work.

Henry

Replies: Reply from "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk> (Re: [Leica] NEED ADVISE FOR FILM TANK)