Subject: [Leica] Re: Pinhole photography
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:08:15 EDT

I missed the start of the thread on pinholes but L. P. Clerc's books on
"Photography: Theory and Practice" go into great details about the
characteristics of the ideal pinhole. Even lens designers Abney and Dallmeyer
calculated pinholes along with their more solid glass optics. The general
consensus is that an f 300 pinhole works best. For a 30 mm pinhole to film
distance this is a tiny .1 mm pinhole. This is a pretty small hole to punch
in tinfoil and Clerc suggests that a pinhole .3 mm in diameter won't degrade
the image quality too much.

I recall that Kodak used to distribute cardboard pinhole camera kits to the
Boy Scouts to help Scouts complete their Photography merit badges and
incidentally get them hooked on photography. I wonder how many Leica users
got their addiction from their pinhole kit.

Larry Zeitlin