Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-X
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:35:07 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Dan Cardish wrote:
> >
> > If it works for him at 800 and it works for him at 200, funny how it
><Snip> ith my Developers the number on the box is right on the money!
>
> I may be missing something here, but I don't think Mark is saying Tri-X
> doesn't work for Jim Marshall at 400, only that he doesn't shoot it at
> 400. Big difference.
> B. D.

For someone of Jim Marshals background to NOT push Tri x a stop would be a real statement.
This is par for the course. It's just a little interesting that when Marshall
wants to make a quality statement; or when he is going for something which there
is a real tonal range issue: a problem shot
he pulls Tri x instead of pushing it. And stock one film.
This instead of stocking Plus x.
I don't think Plus x goes down well with these guys. They're not going to be
caught dead with anything But Tri X.
For me this would make even more sense if Tri X really was the Tri X it was in
the 60's and 70's and early 80's. But it's been tweaked and it's "resonance"
remaining now is questionable.
It's certainly got more "soul" than Tab grain films but at a great loss of both
grain and sharpness.
And at 35mm these lackings get blown up to be real evident.
Put some 120 Tri X regular in your Rolleiflex TLR or Hasselblad sure! But at
35mm that lack of sharpness and fine grain gets very evident.

Mark Rabiner
to be continued....

Portland, Oregon
USA