Subject: [Leica] Photoshop help
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:04:16 +0100

Can somebody help me with Photoshop v5.02?

Im somewhat baffled by Photoshop, I dont need to print, have a
conventional darkroom for that but I'm having trouble preparing images
for online use.  I get the scan looking presentable, resize it, adjust
the resolution to 71 dpi (I seem to remember hearing somewhere that
was the optimum for screen display) , so far so good.

As soon as I save it as a JPEG and reopen it in anything other than
Photoshop Im getting "artefacts"?  I dont know if thats the right
word, but I get "waves" in the highlights.  If I save it at low enough
compression to avoid the"waves" the file is in excess of 150K, which
is really too big.  I see plenty of photos on line smaller than this
that don't have these "waves".

What should I be doing in "JPEG OPTIONS" to avoid these "waves"?  I
usually set the quality to "5 - medium" and format options is set at
"BASELINE - STANDARD".

I have a typical pic in front of me 572 x 370 pixels, 71dpi, looks
fine in photoshop, but as a HTML attachment or in any other software
the "waves" appear in the highlights.

Pics produced with a Leica of course!

Thanks

Jason