Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R
From: "Margaret Jeffcoat" <margaret01@excelonline.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:38:52 -0400

Robert, I've used the "R" system for about 20+ yrs and there is no other
like it. Now I shoot mostly with the R8 and motor and just love the feel of
the unit-really handles quite well. But for some of the longer reach and the
type of work that I do (weddings-photo journalistic style) I will use the
Canon and the IS glass in the "L" type lens. At the present time I'm testing
the EOS 3 and will know the final results in a few weeks. I would never
replace the Leica and the shorter lens- nothing can touch them. And the feel
of the Canon is just not the same as the R8- but I feel they are both tools
and both have their place in my tool box. Some of the other Items that they
are making that I like are the 550ex flash and the remote sensor- no one
else is doing this right now and it is really a nice tool. May I suggest you
rent first and see if the difference you think is there is really there for
you. Selling off new gear to buy more new gear is never a winning (you loose
money) situation.
cheers Wilber
BTW as to Reliability- I've shot with Hassie, Mamyia, Canon, Nikon and
Leica- They all break, they all wear out. I've been hard on them all and
they all give about the same mechanical service- maybe I'm just lucky- I've
broken the Hassies More than any of the others. As to color work- My 90mm F2
Sumicron (about 25 yrs  old-) has better color than anything that anyone is
making in that length today. And the built quality of the lens is out of
this world- so is the weight.