Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 body
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:13:03 +0800

on 15/4/01 10:57 PM, Steve Barbour at kididdoc@home.com wrote:

> Thanks Joseph... I am eyeing a R8 body , mint,  with # 242xxxx. I am trying
> to find out more. It has been used very little but I am not aware of a
> problem or a repair... Do you believe this would be a risky purchase? What
> questions should I ask?
>

> best,  Steve

Steve,

Since the warranty for the R8 lasts five years, the camera in question is
still under warranty.  I would make sure the camera comes with all the
necessary papers.

Some early cameras worked perfectly on their own, but once the Winder R8 was
attached, electronic problems developed.  It may be a good idea to try the
camera out with both the Winder R8 and Motor Drive R8 before parting with
your money.  My 1996 R8 (#228xxxx) had this problem and Leica replaced its
circuit board as well as the base plate.

The aperture control lever (in the lens mount) is also known to be
unreliable in early cameras.  You may like to try a 3-cam lens and see if
the aperture blades close properly.

Just my limited experience....

Bests,

Joseph