Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Medium format camera for a Leica user?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:50:16 -0400

> Austin,
>
> I have not used a 200 series a Hassy, so I won't make comparisions.
>
> However, I use Rollei 6008is on a regular basis and as a result I
> can't see
> your point.
>
> The only time you would change both the shutter speed and
> aperture is if you
> are metering externally (which I would gather that the camera is
> on a tripod
> unless you have a lot of hands).  So, in that case speed would not be an
> issue.

That certainly isn't true for me...I change my shutter speed and or aperture
all the time once I've metered.  Also, having both aperture and shutter
speed right next to each other certainly makes it much easier to change
either or both.

> If you are using the built-in metering then you are either in aperture or
> shutter priority (or A),

You may, but some people like to manually meter and not use any automatic
mode.  As you probably know, the M6 doesn't have any automatic modes at
all...

> Now, as far as focusing is concerned I don't feel it is awkward at all.

On the Rollei, the focusing band is less than 1/4" from the body, and is
around 1/2 inch wide.  I have both cameras, the 6008 and the 205.  So, I've
used them both.  If you haven't used the Hasselblad, then you wouldn't know
how easy it is to focus and set exposure with.

I'm NOT saying anything is wrong with the Rollei, it is a superb camera.
But, I find it just does not handle near as well as a Leica M, or a
Hasselblad.  It is a different camera for a different use.

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Medium format camera for a Leica user?)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Medium format camera for a Leica user?)