Subject: Re: [Leica] not Leica, but worth your attention - interesting story
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:28:01 EDT

Brian

This site is simply amazing, thank you for pointing us to it.

As an aside, we visit a favourite hotel near Bath when we get the chance to
escape the ratrace life. It is run by a couple, the wife of which is French
and you get good home cooking and excellent wines. Last year she asked me if
I could copy some photographs from the family album that she had managed to
acquire from her mother in Paris for a short period, and we struck a deal
where I would do the images in exchange for dinner, bed and breakfast for my
wife and I. And then I looked at the album in more detail -

There were photographs of the Tsar and Tsarina playing with their children
but they were 'family snaps' and not formal in any way. What is more they
were hand signed by the Tsar in Russian with little messages. So I began
asking questions and it turned out that whilst the woman was born in France
her mother was Russian, and her grandfather was the Tsar's brother. The
family were allowed out of Russia when the Revolution took place and they
could tka eone suitcase each. The rather tatty album I had was the album of
family photos that got put into that one suitcase. The messages read things
like 'Happy Christmas to you all' and 'Here we are playing in the garden' etc.

The photographs must be priceless from the historical point of view, and I
had the great pleasure of copying them.

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Corporate & Stock Photography