Subject: Re: [Leica] not Leica, but worth your attention - interesting story
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:30:50 -0400

At 02:28 AM 4/18/2001 EDT, Gwpics@aol.com wrote:
>There were photographs of the Tsar and Tsarina playing with their children
>but they were 'family snaps' and not formal in any way. What is more they
>were hand signed by the Tsar in Russian with little messages. So I began
>asking questions and it turned out that whilst the woman was born in France
>her mother was Russian, and her grandfather was the Tsar's brother.

Nicholas II's brother was Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, a noted
historian.  He remained unmarried, I believe, until the time of his
assassination by the Bolsheviks.  The Romanov family tree has been
developed in excruciating detail, and this woman is NOT a known descendant
- -- and, yes, illegitimate offspring are traced, as well.  This woman might
well have been descended, though, from a member of the Court circle such as
the French ambassador, Michael Paleologue.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!